Monday, November 10, 2008

kittens on the porch

I had a dream the other night which was highly complex, and I can no longer string it together in my head - but here's the bit that stood out.

This must have been the night after it snowed.

In my dream, Kitty has come over to our house, and she is really tired. Dj's not at home, and so we get into bed and go to sleep. I wake up in the morning to find that it's really cold inside because the window's been left open. I go and look out the window and there are some tiny kittens huddled together on the porch beneath the window. I really want to pick them up and keep them warm, but I'm worried their parents won't take them back if I get my scent on them, so I leave them on the deck.

I wake up again, this time there are baby hedgehogs under the window along with the kittens who are still alive, but also still pathetically cute and helpless looking.

I wake up for a third time - this time when I look out the window, there are two small children asleep on our deck chairs who wake up when I open the window. They look scared and apprehensive and I ask them where they live. They tell me that they live upstairs. I feel very sad and tell them that next time they need a place to sleep, they can knock on the window, and they can sleep inside on our couches if they'd like. They nod, staring at me, and slink off into the snow.

No comments: