Monday, November 3, 2008

Olympic Nightmare

DJ and I have flown to Hong Kong for the Olympics and we've arrived and they're got the first heat, and it's a swimming heat and we're inside the airport hotel lobby but somehow it's also the swimming pool and DJ's gone out to look at the view. There are a mass of people pressed against the window looking at the view so he walks out into the middle of the pool along a divider, which is all very well and good, but there's a race about to start. So he comes back over and we start watching this race and as we're watching, one of the guys accidentally jumps in too early and it's a false start. It's really stinking hot inside, and so DJ jumps into the pool, I suppose because he thinks he's got time to jump in and get out in time before they restart.

I feel jealous that he's in the water, and reproachful because I know he shouldn't be doing it.

I'm also really worried about it because people are talking to one another like "what's he doing, why is he in the pool?!" and I'm feeling embarrassed.

DJ's taking ages and ages to get out of the pool, but no-one fishes him out, everyone just waits, more or less in silence, and I'm the only one urging him to get out of the pool. Finally he does, and we watch the race.

After the race, everyone starts to leave and in the crush of it, we get pushed over to the side and an official approaches us (who looks like Ed Woods (I think)) and says to DJ and me, "I want you out now" and I say "but we've just arrived from New Zealand and I don't know why he jumped in, but we're really sorry if it upset you" and he yells at me "I DON'T CARE! YOU CAN'T BEHAVE LIKE THAT AND EXPECT TO GET AWAY WITH IT" and I start sobbing and begging him to reconsider because otherwise we've come all this way for nothing.

DJ just stands off to the side watching me crying.

No comments: